Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on History
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:57 pm
Posts: 1362
Location: London, England
:D At long last The Park is Mine has been released on DVD and Blu Ray in the USA (Actually released in December 2016). Have been waiting ages for this to get a release, having bought the VHS Tape version many years ago. Still a lot of the Bobby Roth movies with TD scores not released but I still live in hopes!! There is also a Collectors Edition of Firestarter coming out next week in the USA with new features that include Johannes Schmoelling. TD lives on........... :D

_________________
Biggus Dickus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 pm
Posts: 182
Oh Yes ! Hope to get hold of the blu ray.

Blue Ray . Com audio review -----

"The 2.0 DTS-HD sound mix has the advantage of a lively Tangerine Dream score, which gets the movie's heart pumping when necessary, carrying a full sound with compelling instrumentation. Dialogue exchanges are secure for the most part, handling surges in emotion and group activity without losing precision. There are a few audio dropouts around the 44:00 mark, but they are brief, representing the only real evidence of damage on the track. Park atmospherics are evocative, capturing wide open spaces and crunchy forest travel, and sound effects are snappy. "

Picture quality gets a bit of criticism , but so what. I want this 8) Hopefully be able to get this in the UK soon .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 pm
Posts: 1630
Location: Kristiansand, Norway
ant wrote:
:D At long last The Park is Mine has been released on DVD and Blu Ray in the USA (Actually released in December 2016). Have been waiting ages for this to get a release, having bought the VHS Tape version many years ago. Still a lot of the Bobby Roth movies with TD scores not released but I still live in hopes!! There is also a Collectors Edition of Firestarter coming out next week in the USA with new features that include Johannes Schmoelling. TD lives on........... :D


The Park Is Mine is actually a Steven Hilliard-Stern movie, not Bobby Roth, if that's what you meant...

Nice to see Schmoelling on the Firestarter DVD. Strange that Franke is never featured on those DVD releases, he seems to be totally out of the spotlight. Even Bobby Roth said "I can't find him" , when I asked him on FB if he would hire him on his upcoming film.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:57 pm
Posts: 1362
Location: London, England
:D Jon, I was just noting that there were a lot of Bobby Roth's TD films still awaiting release, but was not saying that The Park is Mine was one of his, although I understand it could be read that way. :roll:

_________________
Biggus Dickus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:45 pm
Posts: 265
Jon wrote:
ant wrote:
:D At long last The Park is Mine has been released on DVD and Blu Ray in the USA (Actually released in December 2016). Have been waiting ages for this to get a release, having bought the VHS Tape version many years ago. Still a lot of the Bobby Roth movies with TD scores not released but I still live in hopes!! There is also a Collectors Edition of Firestarter coming out next week in the USA with new features that include Johannes Schmoelling. TD lives on........... :D


The Park Is Mine is actually a Steven Hilliard-Stern movie, not Bobby Roth, if that's what you meant...

Nice to see Schmoelling on the Firestarter DVD. Strange that Franke is never featured on those DVD releases, he seems to be totally out of the spotlight. Even Bobby Roth said "I can't find him" , when I asked him on FB if he would hire him on his upcoming film.


My understanding, from someone who once worked for Chris Franke in the early 1990s, is that Franke has pretty much left this part of his life behind him (basically all things TD). I think he went through a huge lifestyle and work change sometime in late 1990s or early 2000s and decided to move on from this part of his history.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:57 pm
Posts: 1362
Location: London, England
:roll: I think Edgar and Chris Franke 'fell out' a long time ago, probably around the time he left TD in 1987 or so, and I don't think they ever patched things up, so to my understanding, Chris never got involved with anything TD related after that, which was a shame because he certainly was a major part of the band up to then.
I have now watched the Park is Mine Blu Ray and the picture is not bad but appears a little 'light' in the night scenes and the audio track is only HD Master Stereo, so it hasn't been enhanced to 5.1, which is a shame. However, still good to have it at long last. :lol:

_________________
Biggus Dickus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:45 pm
Posts: 265
ant wrote:
:roll: I think Edgar and Chris Franke 'fell out' a long time ago, probably around the time he left TD in 1987 or so, and I don't think they ever patched things up, so to my understanding, Chris never got involved with anything TD related after that, which was a shame because he certainly was a major part of the band up to then.


That's true, but after his time with TD he was still doing some projects to please his fans from that era, i.e. The London Concert album, a document of a performance at the Astoria which includes some TD tracks. On the covers of his releases around that time he was was also happy to acknowledge his time with the band. Later on, according to someone who worked with him, he made a break from associating himself from that part of his history, a fresh start musically, professionally and personally, or so I infer. I believe at that point the fall out with Edgar Froese was old news and not a factor, although it is clear they never did patch up their differences, as you say. Who knows, perhaps he will come full circle one day and revisit his TD roots, just as Peter Baumann has done.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 pm
Posts: 182
ant wrote:
I have now watched the Park is Mine Blu Ray and the picture is not bad but appears a little 'light' in the night scenes and the audio track is only HD Master Stereo, so it hasn't been enhanced to 5.1, which is a shame. However, still good to have it at long last. :lol:


Here Ant where did you get hold of the Blu Ray ?I am fancying ordering that .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:57 pm
Posts: 1362
Location: London, England
:) Sorcerer, it was only released in the States on Blu Ray and DVD. You can buy it on either Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk (possibly others) but remember that both versions, if you are outside of the US, will need either a multi-region DVD or Blu Ray player. :)

_________________
Biggus Dickus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 pm
Posts: 182
Thanks for the info ant. Disappointing it's US only. Unlikely my surround system or any of my dvds will play it.

However interestingly it seems you can rent/buy the film to stream or watch on your device. Might have to get that for my iPad. Hopefully maybe get a region free or region2 release eventually.

Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 2:22 am
Posts: 3093
Location: THE QUANTUM YEARS
I found a rare vhs tape copy of "the park is mine" at the thrift store.
took it home the tape is min condition. I burn it off onto the DVD-R Disk..






:!: :arrow:

_________________
Image
https://twitter.com/laserdiscdream
https://plus.google.com/113176733764779995609
http://laserdiscdream.livejournal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 pm
Posts: 1630
Location: Kristiansand, Norway
ant wrote:
:roll: I think Edgar and Chris Franke 'fell out' a long time ago, probably around the time he left TD in 1987 or so, and I don't think they ever patched things up, so to my understanding, Chris never got involved with anything TD related after that, which was a shame because he certainly was a major part of the band up to then.
I have now watched the Park is Mine Blu Ray and the picture is not bad but appears a little 'light' in the night scenes and the audio track is only HD Master Stereo, so it hasn't been enhanced to 5.1, which is a shame. However, still good to have it at long last. :lol:


I seem to remember that Franke was somewhat involved in one of those 90s box sets - Tangents or Dream Roots Collection?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 pm
Posts: 1630
Location: Kristiansand, Norway
By the way, The Park Is Mine can be viewed on youtube.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on History All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage